$395.00 / person(at 6:1 ratio) Next Trip: Jan 6 - 7, 2024
6 spots available. $395.00
0 spots available. $395.00
Start a new trip
Save on postage and have this indispensable trip planning guide delivered to you at your course. With well over 500 Avalanche Terrain Exposure Scale rated Island tours, this guidebook allows you to apply the learning from your AST course to doing real trips in the mountains.
We offer separate courses for snowshoers and backcountry skiers/boarders. The mode of travel will be noted in the booking tab with the corresponding date.
- Snow travel
- Route finding
- Use of map and compass
- Uphill track setting
- Downhill route choice and techniques
- Avalanche awareness
- Improvised snow shelters
- Winter camp craft
- 2 days of instruction with an ACMG-certified guide
- Group gear
- Personal gear
- Personal equipment
If another location is chosen, it will be noted on the booking tab with the corresponding date.
- Spend two days and one night outside in variable conditions — our courses operate in all weather (see gear list)
- Carry approximately 40 pounds, travelling approximately 5km over sections of rough terrain
- Drive on a mountainous, winter road (Mount Washington road can be subject to serious winter driving conditions. Vehicles should have snow tires and carry chains.)
- Snowshoes with suitable winter hiking boots and poles (please ensure you are registered for the course appropriate for your mode of travel)
- 60+ litre backpack (or something large enough to fit personal gear, group gear, and food)
- Warm socks, 2 pairs
- Base layers (top and bottom)
- Mid-insulation layers
- Light wind shell jacket (windproof, water-resistant layer for high aerobic work)
- Waterproof jacket and pants (Gore-Tex or other waterproof breathable material)
- Warm outer jacket (down or synthetic)
- Warm toque
- Face warmer (scarf, neck tube, face mask, buff)
- Light gloves, 2 pairs
- Insulated gloves or mitts, 2 pairs
- Gaiters (if snowshoeing and pants do not secure over boots)
- 4-season tent and ground sheet
- Multi-purpose cord
- Light tarp for sheltered cooking
- Winter sleeping bag (warm to -15 at minimum)
- Sleeping pad (something that gets you off the ground and is rated for winter)
- Fire starter
- Pot, stove and fuel (available as a “cook kit” add-on)
- Wash kit (scrub brush, soap, hand sanitizer)
- Bowl, cutlery, thermos/water bottle
- Food: 1 breakfast, 2 lunches (ready to eat), 1 dinner, and snacks. For tasty, nutritous and locally pre-made meals check out https://wildedgeketo.com/
- Personal toiletries
- Camp booties or shoes
- Change of warm socks and clothes
- Sun protection (sunscreen, glasses, and hat)
- Small general repair kit (e.g. for bindings, therm-a-rest, stove, tent)
- Small personal first aid (medication, blister kit, etc.)
- Camera or phone
- Water purification (and/or enough fuel to boil snow)
- Map and compass (available as a rental add-on)
Tent, Sleeping Pad, and/or Backpack: We offer tent rentals, sleeping pad rentals, and/or backpack rentals for $20 per item when you book. If you do not have your own gear, please request prior to your trip. If you require other items from the personal gear list, perhaps check out Sports Rent based out of Victoria, Blue Toque Sports based in Courtenay, and/or on social media to name a few.
Snowshoes: 'Ski Tak Hut' in Courtenay (https://www.skitakhut.com/pages/rentals) offers snowshoe rentals. Clients on HVI courses and trips are eligible to receive a unique 25% discount code towards their gear rentals from Ski Tak Hut - for the duration of their course/trip with us. Discount codes are distributed directly from HVI to our clients upon request. Rentals from Ski Tak Hut can be ordered online using the unique discount code. Note you will be asked to show the booking confirmation you received from us when you pick up your gear.
Winter 4x4 Vehicle(s): 'Far Out Wilderness' (https://faroutwilderness.com/ski-tours-winter-4x4/) is a 4x4 vehicle rental service in Victoria that offers clients access to a fleet of rugged, reliable, and fully-equipped vehicles designed to conquer the most challenging winter terrain. Their vehicles come with snow tires with the 3 peak mountain symbol, chains, and ski racks. They also provide emergency equipment, including SOS, SPOT messenger systems, GPS, tire pump, toe rope, tire pressure gauge, a map to BC's backcountry roads, and a first aid kit. Everything you need to get safely to the ski slopes! Upon request, IAG clients can receive a 5% discount code towards their rentals from 'Far Out Wilderness'.
Questions? Check out our FAQ page for information about gear fitting, rentals, add-ons, and /or other commonly asked questions, or send us an email.
Absolutely loved the trip. First-class instructor.
Marvin Kamenz, Comox, BC
The course was excellent. Full of the kind of information I was looking for. Lots of fun. Ken did a great job. I'm a happy customer!
Paul Cooper, Victoria, BC
Sincere thanks to Ken, our instructor, and to Zoë for all the support and correspondence! What an awesome 2-day trip in the mountains. Stunning scenery and learnt heaps! Would definitely recommend IAG to anyone interested in experiencing the adventure of outdoors!
Christopher Little, Auckland, New Zealand
The course was great. Graeme as a guide was wonderful. He was relaxed, friendly, comical and informative. I came away from the course with the confidence to go out winter camping on my own and look forward to next time. It was a great intro course. Exactly what I was hoping for when signing up for this course. Friendly group!